Monday, September 9, 2019

The Symmetry in a Basic Temple

The Symmetry in a Basic Temple by Cassandra Hulbert
MATH 401 
9 September 2019

About My Print:I generated my inspiration for this project from my recent trip to Tokyo, Japan. The temples within Japan date as far back as the early 7thcentury and are found in abundance throughout the country. Early construction centered around nature, aesthetic, and symmetry. I wanted a three story pagoda, with each floor slightly smaller than the previous and a characterizing lightning rod. The idea was simple enough, but required a composite of different techniques within OpenSCAD to create. The object puts to work several of the techniques learned in week 1 tutorials. 
  
Creation Process:With the use of entirely cubes and cylinders, this object was able to be stacked and formed. Starting on the lower level, a cube of [20,20,6] measurements was developed, with a difference cube of [20,5,3] to cut out a doorway. To top the “main room”, I developed a cylinder which was pinched at the top, flattened, then adjusted to 4 facets, ($fn = 4), to create a square-based with a sliced top, also known as a frustum. I repeated this process of a cube topped with a frustum, with each overhead layer having smaller dimensions (of -5 in length and width), until I got to base layer 3. The cylinder which made up the rod, with a radius of only .5, was of relatively small-scale dimensions. The hanging edges in the rendering of my code proved to be a slight problem when it came to print time. Nevertheless, my object was now ready to be printed.
Printing Process:The Ultimaker Cura put my print time at roughly 2 hours. About 45 minutes in, the plastic starts to dip in where the edges hung. I had to stop my print, add supports in, and re-print. For it being my first print, I expected error, hoped for perfection. With the supports in and a smaller scale, my print was able to fit in the allotted timeframe. Ultimately, I was pleased with the quality, accuracy, and sturdiness of my final product. 

No comments:

Post a Comment