Thursday, May 15, 2014

Wrapped tubes

Turns out that topologist Herbert Edelsbrunner founded a company for 3D object manipulation. He has a large series of knots and tori that he has generated in STL. I'm trying the square torus in -10/4 time: Ten rotations of the tube during four rotations around the hole. The minus sign means the tube curls towards the middle in the clockwise direction. It is a very nice model and turned out great with minimal clean up.



Possible revisions:  I might have been able to print it without supports, but I was worried about the parts which wouldn't touch the bottom, so there were supports on the bottom. And ten is too many rotations. It sort of looks like a fancy donut instead of a mathematical shape. Next time I would like to try the -4/4 time torus without supports.

Update: I found out what kind of fancy donut this is - it is a French Cruller.

No comments:

Post a Comment