Thursday, May 15, 2014

Catalan wireframe polyhedra

I tried mathgrrl's entire workflow for producing Catalan wireframe polyhedra. It gives a chance to try meshlab,  TopMod, and edit a custom profile. During the Prepare stage, I discovered the very useful command "Lay Flat" in the Turn menu.

Here it is while printing:


And here's what I see on my screen while printing. The camera means I can watch it while sitting in the other room:



Here it is in its finished state ready to be cleaned up:



Follow up note on clean up: mathgrrl shows a photo that looks something like this, followed by a cleaned up version with the comment "removing the support is not all that difficult" and only takes 5 minutes.  Obviously she knows something I don't because  I have already broken one of the edges, but still have not managed to get all those supports out of the middle! Hopefully one gets the hang of it after a while. Here it is at last after 5 minutes… in turtle minutes anyway:



Notes for next time: I tried this whole workflow again on a buckyball, but there I ended up with all sides triangulated. Have to work out why they didn't remain pentagons and hexagons.

No comments:

Post a Comment